The Perfect Gift

Scarves are such a favourite gift to give and to receive. It's probably one of the easiest gifts to buy in a hurry when an occasion presents itself. Nowadays you may have to hunt for a really delicate and elegant scarf with a natural sensory aesthetic. I've had a look at what is on offer at some of the local retail giants, and walked away with nothing. Because, of course, I know that something far more special can be found at the wonderful boutique home, lifestyle and garden shop, Oshun in Noordhoek, Cape Town. If you've never been please do look them up and make an effort to visit this place of beauty and healing. And you'll be certain to find some very precious gestures of love, care and friendship.
I live just down the road from this place that feels like a blanket to keep out the cold, and a tent to shelter me from the winds of life that threaten to lift me away. I've gone there many a time when I just wanted to feel a buddha's energy (they have tons of them!), or just be inspired by beautiful Balinese fabric. 
Right now I'm on a mission to find the perfect gift for my best friend who has decided to return to her birth place many miles away. I'm slowly coming to terms with it. And I'm trying to fill both our lives with a little bit of beauty that we can share even when we are oceans away. 


Bracelets and delicate beaded necklaces are possibly another obvious choice, because I'm the scarf wearer in our relationship. But I think she might like a beautiful necklace. But if I have to really be honest with myself: she's a bracelet and rings woman. I don't always see her wearing earrings and necklaces...even though I have bought a pair of gorgeous, hand-painted turquoise Balinese bead earrings from Oshun.
 Turquoise is the colour of friendship. It is also one of the safest colours to wear as it flatters just about every skin tone. My best friend, however, is more of a silver and crystal kind of gal; and after all our years of friendship, I think I may be able to find just the right gift at my favourite Balinese banquet of beauty.
 Classic beauty can only be described as everything you feel when you wear pearls. It hardly matter whether the design is modern or vintage, a pearl is a promise of steadfastness. If I'm going to go with earrings, then the pearls will be it! I know they would suit her, and they are such absolute classics that they are undeniably the best choice for her.
I do have a thing for trinket boxes! I used to collect at least one in every place I visited. Now I give them away as gifts. They've traveled with me all over the world, and I'm thankful, while I acknowledge my own personal shift in not really wanting to hoard all these tiny symbols of my past adventures. I have the memories, and that's enough...it's all we ever take with us anyway.
But a tiny trinket box to hold a precious gift, would be a lovely way to present a gift as delicate as those pearl earrings. Yes, the earrings make sense as a gift to someone who is about to embark on a journey: small enough to be welcomed, and beautiful enough to remind her of what she looks like in my eyes. Yes. That is it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

IN THE BEGINNING

Sand angel  For some it started with an angel. Motherhood was my ultimate beginning. I started there. At the point of even wanting to br...